Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Bodies

I went to see the Bodies exhibition last week, and to be quite honest about it I was a little concerned about it first. I had reservations about was it right to display human bodies in such a fashion, but I decided in the end to give it a go. I know there is some controversy about where the bodies came from, and this aside, these were once living people. I taught that the bodies were not in great condition, and were disheveled from preservation. I found the section of blood vessels to be the most interesting part of the tour, and was surprised how big the pulmonary artery is. The bodies looked little more than a shanks of ham right down to the fibers, and this to me reflected our own mortality and how delicate we really are. I was surprised that I was not amazed with even one part of the exhibition, and nothing made me go "wow". As for the educational part of it I really don't think there is a need to display human bodies in such fashion, and while I do understand that over the years what we know of medicine today came from studying human samples. I did not learn anything that i could not have learned from a computer simulation of a plastic model. The cross sections of the bodies were less detailed (in my opinion) that a normal cat scan, and as such this was a gratuitous display of human remains. We must remember that these people were somebodies son or somebodies daughter, and as such should not be displayed in this way!

No comments:

Post a Comment