Tuesday, June 01, 2010

MotionX GPS

I downloaded this App from Itunes store a while ago, and have been using it on and off for months. I must say I am highly impressed with with. It used triangulation, and the iPhones GPS to secure a location quickly.

While on your home network it uses your data connection to display maps, much like the way google maps work.


I was "horrified" at the data charges for roaming that Eugene O'Loughlin mentioned in his blog, but not surprised. I myself being incredibly tight fisted with money have Data Roaming turned off on my Iphone so I keep my costs down when abroad.

This is where MotionX GPS comes into its own. Before you leave home MotionX GPS can preloaded maps of the area you are going to. I found this feature invaluable for my last trip abroad. You can select the detail and the area to be downloaded, and this is stored directly on your iPhone for instant access thus avoiding data charges.

Types of Maps

Bing Road
Microsoft Bing Road maps

Bing Aerial
Aerial Maps by Microsoft Bing

Bing Hybrid
An overlay of Bing road maps on Bing Aerial

MotionX O-Road
Road maps by MotionX

MotionX O-Terrain
Topographical maps by MotionX.


Topographical Maps
These (for those who don't know) are detailed maps of a topographical area, and are of the same style as OS maps with contours, spot heights , and physical features. These are great for off road activities like walking or mountain biking.

Tracks
MotionX tracks your path on your maps, and overlays on the maps, and these can be shared on Facebook and Twitter.

This App cost me €2.39, compare this to the €195 I paid for my garmin gps 12 I purchased a few years ago (and it only has grid refs, and not maps) or the prices you can pay for other maps.
Verdict
Thumbs up, 5 Star product.

As always GPS systems do not replace experience or proper navigational equipment such as paper maps & compasses. Equipment can never replace common sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment